Tuesday, July 9, 2013

We Interrupt This Story...

 I have another guest blogger today. I'm so excited! I loved having Hollie write last week about loving our husbands truly as the Word of God commands us to do. Don't forget to check out her blog Dermer Family

Today we have Chelsey Hall joining us from Life Unabridged. I started following her blog several years back and was instantly connected with her. Though we've never met in real life,she's been a blessing to me in my spiritual walk. Let's listen to what she has to say to us today.



As much as I would like to say that I am kind and gracious when it comes to handling interruptions, I'd probably be lying through my teeth.




I am a perfectionist and a planner... and a first born. Most firstborns will tell you... this is just the way we are wired. I like to have a plan and schedule for everything. Oh, and WATCH out if you get in MY way and mess up my plans.


Oh. No. You. Didn't.

Oh yes. Sigh. I am that person. 


I don't always handle interruptions well. BUT, suffice it say, the Lord has been GRACIOUSLY working on this with me. He IS showing me just how much I miss out bringing glory to HIM, when I let the interruptions get the best of me. And, I truly am getting better. Actually, I have no choice BUT to get better... I am blessed with many children, and many children mean tons of opportunities to practice dealing with interruptions. 
 

I'll give you an example of one area, that up until recently was a HIGH frustration on my list:

When I was a teenager, God impressed it upon my heart that I needed to give him the first part of my mornings. I would wake up early, before school, and have some alone time with God... read my Bible, pray and write in my journal. It has been a part of who I am for a long time. As I came a mother it became more and more difficult to keep up with my morning times. As such, began stressing about my quiet times. I tried waking up early only to have a little one wake up even earlier, and it always resulted in frustration toward said child for infringing on “my time”. It would put me in a "mood" and I'd be irritable towards the children. 
 

And then I read a profound yet simple statement by Stacy McDonald:

When reading your Bible, don't get frustrated when you're interrupted right at the "good parts."

Learn to view those inevitable moments of interruption as teaching opportunities planned by God.

All the sudden it hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't have to have secluded alone time to be in HIS presence. 
 

Throughout our life we go through different seasons. As a mother, you go through a season of raising little ones. And as any mom of littles knows, your time is NOT your own. Rarely do you get moments all to yourself (and if you do most of the time you chose to use them to sleep!!). 
 
Having little ones means you are in a season of interruptions. 
 


Every time I change a diaper, kiss a boo-boo, make a meal, teach a child their ABC's, or an older one how to divide with fractions, I can be in God's presence. It is a constant battle in my daily life to remember this and to not be so focused that I only see the interruptions, delays and inconveniences as frustrations instead of the opportunities that lie in them for God to reveal Himself. 
 

I still do try and get up early in the morning before the children arise to spend some quiet moments with Him. But now, if I get interrupted, rather than get frustrated, I stop and thank the Father for the interruption and the opportunity for the teachable moment to minister to my children's' heart.






Chelsey is the mama of eight blessings (seven here on earth and one playing at the feet of Jesus), and has been married to her sweet man for almost 20 years. She shares her every day real-life, uncut adventures at Life Unabridged and would be tickled pink if you'd stop by and say hi. 









I want to thank Chelsey so much for guest posting today. She has such a sweet spirit. I love what she said to us. Be sure to check out her blog and tell her how much you appreciated her willingness today.


Linking up with Darlene at Time-Warp Wife for Titus 2sdays.


6 comments:

  1. Love this Chelsey! Thanks for sharing, Heather :)

    I have the same problems with interruptions, and with little ones, interruptions abound! God gave me some insights about this as well, that I shared in a post called "My time is not my own" some similar ideas...http://www.servingjoyfully.com/2012/09/05/phil-21-8-my-time-is-not-my-own/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, thanks and so glad you stopped by. Interruptions are definitely common place with littles!! Heading over now to check out your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, from a fellow "I am a perfectionist and a planner... and a first born."
    Thank you for this post - your sweet spirit shines through :)
    God teaches us so many wonderful things through the interruptions (yes, our children) doesn't he?
    Jesus said, "let the little children come" why should I be any different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are interrupting me right now! :) But yes, absolutely, we are to be servants and that usually means my neat and tidy plans don't happen quite as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by ladies! I have been busy all day,we're having VBS at our church this week.

    Crystal- I have had some insights myself and it wasn't pretty. I'm going to check out your post!

    Linda- I am not a first born,but I should have been. :) I am a planner and perfectionist,but a middle child. God has taught me SO much through my children when I finally was wiling to let Him.

    Sarah- My child is interrupting me too. :) My plans rarely go as planned and I am still learning to let it go. It's not easy though!


    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather! Nice to virtually meet you and I can totally relate. :-)
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I love hearing from those who read my blog,so share your thoughts with me.