Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cleaning, how do you do it?






As I was cleaning this morning, I thought why not write a cleaning post? I usually don't brainstorm my posts in the form of writing it down. I am usually doing something around the house and a light bulb turns on in my head. I then think about it most of the day until I can sit down to write on the computer. I think of what to say and when I finally get a chance to sit,I start writing and it just flows.

I never grew up cleaning the house. I never grew up washing dishes. The extent of cleaning I did was cleaning my bedroom,which didn't get that messy. Mama just did everything herself as far as I can remember. When I got married I did clean what was necessary,but no deep cleaning. I was clueless really. We have been married for 7 years almost and in the past year and a half I just started a cleaning schedule. Yes. I know. It's crazy. I came across a post, Daily Housekeeping Schedule, from Darlene at Time-Warp Wife about a cleaning schedule. Here is another post that goes along with the above one, House Cleaning Schedule. Something sparked in me and I said this is something I need to do. I printed out the post and adjusted it to what worked well for me. Over the last year I have changed it some and it has worked great for me.

Now that I clean like this, I love it. I love to clean. Did I just say that? I did. I think I get it from my Mother,who also loves to clean still. I can't imagine not cleaning like this now. I wanted to share my cleaning schedule and tips that I have with you ladies.

Monday
  • clean toilet- I try to do this in the mornings after I get my shower. If I don't clean it then, I do it after our quiet time in the afternoon. I like to use Comet and PineSol on a magic eraser. It works well. I even used a little washing detergent today. I have a toilet brush I use for inside the bowl. I try to switch it out every month.
  • sweep & mop bathroom/vanity area- I don't do this every week,but I probably need too. It's not a big space at all and doesn't get as dirty. I use Comet and PineSol for mopping too. What can I say? I love the smell of clean.
  • clean the tub- I do this every week. I took tips from Darlene and I use a little bit of washing detergent along with a magic eraser. It smells so good and looks so clean.
Tuesday
  • vacuum floors- I usually do this in the afternoon/evening time. My oldest has even started helping me out. I got a new vacuum last week (old one died) and I was SO excited to try it out. 
  • clean mirrors & sinks in bathroom/vanity area- I have started doing this when my boys take a bath. It is convenient and easy to do while I watch them too. I like to use rubbing alcohol with a washcloth for the mirrors and sinks. It has no smell once it is dried and it makes the faucets just shine. 
  • clean windows- I don't do this every week. I do it every other week. I just use Windex with a microfiber cloth. It works well and no smell.
Wednesday
  •  clean kitchen sink- I use PineSol to clean the faucet. It makes it shine and smells good. I use a magic eraser with Pinesol for the sink also. The magic eraser is so great! A friend told me about them. I love the sink to shine and smells like lemons. I usually do this in the evening after I wash dishes for the last time.
  • clean microwave- I use a washcloth to clean the microwave and that's it. I wet the washcloth and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and 50 seconds. It is steamy and food comes off so easy. I got this cleaning tip from Darlene. It is the easiest way I have found to clean it.
  • clean refrigerator- I don't do this every week,more like every 2-3 weeks. I use Redi Wipes to wipe down the drawers and the doors. 
  • sweep & mop kitchen- I don't do this every week. We live in apartments and there isn't much dirt. I can live with a dirty floor,but not dirty sinks. Go figure. I just sweep when needed and rarely mop. We have a small kitchen too. 
Thursday
  • vacuum floors- I do this twice a week. I love clean carpet. I hate feeling stuff under my feet.
  • finalize menu and grocery list- I do this during quiet time or when the kids are in bed at night. 
  • dust- I dust the shelves,pictures,and trinkets. I do this every 2 weeks. 

Friday,Saturday,and Sunday are sort of just the usual cleaning days where I do what I do all the other days- wash dishes,and wipe down counter tops. Making a schedule has really helped me. If I am going to be gone one of the 4 days I do specific cleaning, I try to do it the day before. If it is a spur of the moment trip, I just do it the day after, or wait till the next week. I have learned we aren't going to die if the sink isn't cleaned every week or the tub isn't spotless every week. I sort of went overboard when I first started this schedule. I have learned that these things need to be done,but I don't have to be so strict that I stress over it. It's supposed to be serving my family and guests,not a chore.

Here are things I do randomly when they need to be done:
  • switch the garbage cans out when they need it
  • keep extra bags in the main garbage can and clean it monthly
  • usually clean left overs out of the fridge on Friday's when I am putting groceries up
  • work on my menu for the week and grocery list Monday-Thursday. I go grocery shopping on Friday mornings and shop weekly.
  • switch bedsheets out every 3-4 weeks. It depends with the boys that are still night potty training.



Linking up with The Better Mom today. Come join us!

4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading other people's posts on cleaning, because I usually learn something new. Even though I've been at this about four times longer than you! I'm going to try heating the wet washrag in the microwave -- great idea.

    I don't LOVE cleaning, but being on a schedule always helps. It's just something that gets done and the reward is a nice place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to read other people's thoughts on cleaning too! You can always pick up something new. :)

    I love the trick to cleaning the microwave. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to clean when I have time to devote to it. It sounds crazy, but there's this feeling of completion and satisfaction to a neatly arranged pantry and windows that shine...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) There is something about a made up bed and clean kitchen. I love it! Clean floors,clean windows,clean toilets. I could go on. Thanks for stopping by Laura!

      Delete

I'm so glad you stopped by! I love hearing from those who read my blog,so share your thoughts with me.