Monday, September 2, 2013

Looking In the Mirror of the Word





The other day I was straightening my hair trying to get the wave out. I was intently focused on getting it just right. I love to fix my hair and put on make-up. Before having kids I never went anywhere without make-up. I just love being a girly girl. Now, if I put on make-up my boys ask me where are we going that day. Ha! Funny how things change isn't it?

The Holy Spirit began to reveal something to me. If we spent half the time in the mirror of God's Word, as we do in the physical mirror perfecting our physique how much more like Jesus could we be? We pay so much attention to our face and hair. I know that it takes some women hours to get ready. We want our eye shadow to look just right and have a dramatic effect to make our eyes pop out. We wax or pluck our eye brows so they look perfect. We make sure every lash is covered in mascara and want them to look full and long. Is that wrong? I don't think it is,if that isn't what drives you. If you know that it is just make-up and our worth isn't in it,then I think there is nothing wrong with it. But if we value our physical beauty over our spiritual beauty,we need to stop and re-evaluate things.




What if we intently looked into the Word of God and let it change us? What if we were so particular about our actions,words,and obedience to the Word? I think our homes would look a lot different. I think even our churches and our society would look a lot different. The Word says in II Corinthians 3:18 that we are changed by the Spirit of the Lord, But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. The Bible is our mirror. It will show us the imperfections,the sins,and the ugliness of ourselves. It is to be our guide for life. What is more beautiful than a soul that is gentle,loving,patient,and kind? That is what God wants us to focus on. He wants us to be beautiful inside more than He does on the outside.

Our society pushes physical beauty and we are bombarded with perfecting our bodies. It's good for us not to get caught up in that. It is very easy to do because the world seems to exalt those with beautiful faces and perfect hair. They look down on those who don't keep up with the latest trends and try the latest work outs. Those who are not slim and trim are looked at shamefully. Even those who are not "pretty" to look upon are rejected. God looks deeper than our Cover Girl and CHI. He cares much more about how we treat others,how we handle disruptions,and how we love our families than how straight our hair is. That is so hard to remember for me at times. I fall prey to keeping up with what the world says is beautiful. It's directly opposite to what God says is beautiful. I'm so thankful He isn't worried about my waist size,my hair,or my face. He doesn't measure us by those things. He measures our worth by what He says about us. He says we are redeemed and we are His. 

Don't let the world,the devil,yourself,or others make you feel less than God says you are. With His Spirit in us,we can strive to walk in the godliness He has called us too.

I have been reading a new ebook called More Than Rules by Bambi Moore,she blogs at In the Nursery of the Nation. It is so convicting. She not only talks about this,but being modesty in our talk also. Check it out if you haven't already.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you stopped by! I love hearing from those who read my blog,so share your thoughts with me.